Torres talks up England World Cup chances
Wednesday 21 April 2010
Liverpool striker Fernando Torres rates England's starting side as the second best in the world and believes they could be ready to go all the way in the World Cup.
The Spaniard thinks Fabio Capello's side would make ideal finalists in South Africa - provided they can overcome a perceived psychological issue with reaching the latter stages.
"If England can overcome their mental barrier then Spain versus England would be the perfect World Cup final," Torres told the Daily Express.
"People say that Spain have the best starting XI in the world but when you look at England on paper, they have the second strongest XI in the world.
"In John Terry and Rio Ferdinand they have two of the best defenders. Stevie Gerrard is the greatest central midfielder on the planet and Wayne Rooney is one of the in-form players in football along with Lionel Messi.
"It's hard to see a weakness in the England team. All they need to do now is break the mental barrier that going out at the quarter-final stage creates."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal and Puma unveil world's first left-footed football
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
Liverpool's best XI of the season so far: Raheem Sterling should play in the front three while Steven Gerrard remains on the bench
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Ryan Mason tattoo: Tottenham and England midfielder trolled by Twitter user who compares him to 12-year-old boy
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet