Uefa president Michel Platini reveals World Cup plan for winter 2022
Wednesday 26 September 2012
The Uefa president Michel Platini has called for the World Cup to be staged during the winter for the first time at the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
This would require the Premier League and all European Leagues to take a seven-week winter break.
"I hope it will be held in winter," said Platini. "We have to go to Qatar when it is good for everybody to participate. What is better for the fans?
"January is difficult because you have the Winter Olympic Games. If we stop [the European season] from 2 November to 20 December, it means, instead of finishing in May, we stop in June. It is not a big problem."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
Sting vs Triple H: NWO, DX and Shawn Michaels return at Wrestlemania 31 as The Game triumphs in flashback to Monday Night Wars
Thierry Henry shows he's still got it with incredible pass against Jamie Carragher's side during Steven Gerrard tribute match
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath