Uefa president Michel Platini reveals World Cup plan for winter 2022
Wednesday 26 September 2012
The Uefa president Michel Platini has called for the World Cup to be staged during the winter for the first time at the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
This would require the Premier League and all European Leagues to take a seven-week winter break.
"I hope it will be held in winter," said Platini. "We have to go to Qatar when it is good for everybody to participate. What is better for the fans?
"January is difficult because you have the Winter Olympic Games. If we stop [the European season] from 2 November to 20 December, it means, instead of finishing in May, we stop in June. It is not a big problem."
Latest in Sport
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet