Uruguay 0 Jordan 0: Draw ensures Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani are going to World Cup 2014
The South American side led 5-0 from the first leg
Thursday 21 November 2013
Uruguay booked the final spot at next year's World Cup as a goalless draw with Jordan in Montevideo secured a 5-0 aggregate play-off victory.
Washington Tabarez's side were all but assured of their place in Brazil after winning 5-0 in Asia last week and they did more than enough to finish the job at the Centenario stadium.
While the home fans were hungry for goals, the Celeste were in no rush to take any risks.
Paris St Germain striker Edinson Cavani was the only man who looked like troubling the visitors as he fired wide after beating two defenders.
Three minutes before the break, defender Diego Godin headed towards goal but the ball rebounded off the bar.
Jordan goalkeeper Mohamad Shatnawi kept Uruguay at bay in the second half, keeping out a Diego Lugano header and Cavani's angled effort.
With the tie well and truly over it was underwhelming stuff at times, but easily enough to send the hosts to Brazil.
Uruguay celebrate qualifying for the World Cup
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed