Uruguay 0 Jordan 0: Draw ensures Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani are going to World Cup 2014
The South American side led 5-0 from the first leg
Thursday 21 November 2013
Uruguay booked the final spot at next year's World Cup as a goalless draw with Jordan in Montevideo secured a 5-0 aggregate play-off victory.
Washington Tabarez's side were all but assured of their place in Brazil after winning 5-0 in Asia last week and they did more than enough to finish the job at the Centenario stadium.
While the home fans were hungry for goals, the Celeste were in no rush to take any risks.
Paris St Germain striker Edinson Cavani was the only man who looked like troubling the visitors as he fired wide after beating two defenders.
Three minutes before the break, defender Diego Godin headed towards goal but the ball rebounded off the bar.
Jordan goalkeeper Mohamad Shatnawi kept Uruguay at bay in the second half, keeping out a Diego Lugano header and Cavani's angled effort.
With the tie well and truly over it was underwhelming stuff at times, but easily enough to send the hosts to Brazil.
Uruguay celebrate qualifying for the World Cup
Latest in Sport
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for