Van der Sar turns down Dutch request to return
Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has declined an offer from Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk to make a comeback for the national team.
"Although I knew what his answer would be, I called Edwin to ask him," Van Marwijk was quoted as saying in the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.
"I think that was normal seeing the circumstances (surrounding) our goalkeepers. But Edwin told me last year that for him the Dutch team was a closed book. I knew his answer, but just gave it a try."
Van der Sar, 38, who won a record 130 caps, announced his international retirement after the Euro 2008 finals last year but made a brief comeback for the World Cup qualifiers against Iceland and Norway in October.
He set an English league record this season by going 1,311 minutes without conceding a goal, keeping a clean sheet in 14 successive league matches he played in.
The Dutch goalkeeping crisis arose after first choice Maarten Stekelenburg became second choice at Ajax Amsterdam, while Henk Timmer and Michel Vorm are struggling with injuries.
Van Marwijk will announce his squad on Friday for the Group Nine qualifiers against Scotland on 28 March and Macedonia on 1 April, both in Amsterdam.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal have 'too many strikers' claims Arsene Wenger, despite admitting Lukas Podolski is 'not a real centre-forward'
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Fernando Torres to AC Milan: Jose Mourinho talks up Mattia Destro with Torres on verge of Chelsea exit
Mario Balotelli has been 'spoken to at length' and Liverpool have ensured he lives on Merseyside rather than Manchester
Burnley vs Manchester United: Why Louis van Gaal has been unflustered by United's terrible start to the season
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'