Van Marwijk extends Netherlands contract
Friday 09 December 2011
Coach Bert van Marwijk has extended his contract with the Netherlands until 2016.
A spokeswoman for the World Cup runner-up said Friday that Van Marwijk signed the four year extension Thursday night.
Van Marwijk took over the Dutch team in 2008 from Marco van Basten. Since then, the team has won 31 matches, drawn 10 and lost four. The highlight of his career so far was reaching the World Cup final last year in Johannesburg, where the Netherlands lost 1-0 to Spain thanks to an Andres Iniesta extra-time goal.
The Netherlands easily qualified for the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, but has been drawn in a tough qualification group with Germany, Portugal and Denmark.
Latest in Sport
QPR vs Arsenal match report: Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez on the scoresheet for the Gunners
Newcastle 0 Manchester United 1: Louis van Gaal describes performance as 'maybe our best match of the season'
Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid superstar 'sends his hair stylist to look after his waxwork once a month'
Newcastle vs Manchester United match report: Ashley Young scores late winner as Angel Di Maria fails to shine yet again
Arsenal's Gabriel suffers 36th-minute hamstring injury and is subbed off...Twitter reacts
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 4 African jawbone discovery pushes birth of humanity back by 400,000 years
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina