Van Marwijk extends Netherlands contract
Friday 09 December 2011
Coach Bert van Marwijk has extended his contract with the Netherlands until 2016.
A spokeswoman for the World Cup runner-up said Friday that Van Marwijk signed the four year extension Thursday night.
Van Marwijk took over the Dutch team in 2008 from Marco van Basten. Since then, the team has won 31 matches, drawn 10 and lost four. The highlight of his career so far was reaching the World Cup final last year in Johannesburg, where the Netherlands lost 1-0 to Spain thanks to an Andres Iniesta extra-time goal.
The Netherlands easily qualified for the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, but has been drawn in a tough qualification group with Germany, Portugal and Denmark.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo: Unhappy forward is ready to quit Real Madrid, according to Angel Di Maria
Commonwealth Games 2014: Australia launch Glasgow swimwear - but are criticised for drawing attention to the 'crotch' area
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Jurgen Klopp concerned with Dortmund injuries and praises signings of Danny Welbeck and Alexis Sanchez
Alexis Sanchez: The many (animated) faces of Arsenal's Chilean forward
Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester United: Ramon Calderon claims Real Madrid star is 'fed up'
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 4 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 5 Julian Assange and Edward Snowden join piracy mogul Kim Dotcom’s political campaign in New Zealand