Van Marwijk extends Netherlands contract
Friday 09 December 2011
Coach Bert van Marwijk has extended his contract with the Netherlands until 2016.
A spokeswoman for the World Cup runner-up said Friday that Van Marwijk signed the four year extension Thursday night.
Van Marwijk took over the Dutch team in 2008 from Marco van Basten. Since then, the team has won 31 matches, drawn 10 and lost four. The highlight of his career so far was reaching the World Cup final last year in Johannesburg, where the Netherlands lost 1-0 to Spain thanks to an Andres Iniesta extra-time goal.
The Netherlands easily qualified for the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, but has been drawn in a tough qualification group with Germany, Portugal and Denmark.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Louis van Gaal - I could have axed Ryan Giggs and I could have sacked Jose Mourinho, too!
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Radamel Falcao a doubt for Premier League clash
Real Madrid vs Barcelona player ratings: Luis Suarez rated on his debut
Gus Poyet future: Sunderland manager on brink after Arsenal pile misery on top of 8-0 defeat
Manchester United vs Chelsea analysis: Simplest errors at the back are leaving United very vulnerable, writes Danny Higginbotham
- 1 Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
- 2 Ricky Gervais and Dame Judi Dench back campaign to stop Thailand dog meat trade
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News