Vincent Kompany played 90 minutes for Belgium against Australia despite calf injury concerns for Manchester City defender
Belgium 2 Australia 0
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany played the full 90 minutes for Belgium despite worries over a calf injury.
The centre-back suffered the injury during training on Tuesday and had to have a scan to ensure the damage wasn't significant.
Belgium boss Marc Wilmots said he would take no chances with the 28-year-old Kompany passed a fitness test and played the full 90 minutes.
Belgium eventually won the match 2-0 thanks to goals from Dries Mertens and Axel Witsel.
Manchester City have a huge couple of weeks on the horizon, with Arsenal, Bayern Munich and Chelsea their next three matches.
Manuel Pellegrini may be pleased his captain is fit and ready for these crucial few weeks. However, he could be left wondering why Kompany was risked for an international friendly.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more