Who will replace Giovanni Trapattoni? Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill, Mick McCarthy...
We take a look at the contenders to fill the hotseat at the Republic of Ireland
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Giovanni Trapattoni left his role as Republic of Ireland manager today by mutual consent.
The 74-year-old had been in charge for more than five years and steered Ireland to the Euro 2012 championship.
FAI chief executive John Delaney said in a statement: "We thank Giovanni Trapattoni, Marco Tardelli and Franco Rossi for the last five-and-a-half years during which we qualified for our first major tournament in 10 years and were close to qualification for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa after the play-off in France.
"This particular World Cup campaign has been disappointing but Giovanni leaves us with a group of good, young players which should form the basis of the squad that the new manager will use for the European Championship in France 2016 when 24 teams qualify."
Here we take a look at the familiar faces in contention to replace the Italian.
Click HERE or click 'VIEW GALLERY' to launch our guide.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Latest in Sport
Luis Suarez: Lionel Messi is better than Cristiano Ronaldo
Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from spine injury after doing somersault celebration
Arsenal vs Hull: Gary Lineker and Piers Morgan lead criticism of Arsene Wenger after 'uncomfortable' interview with Jacqui Oatley
Angel Di Maria injury: Manchester United sweat over fitness of record signing as he is in danger of missing Chelsea clash
West Brom vs Manchester United player ratings: Saido Berahino scores highest, whilst Marcos Rojo scores lowest
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'