Wilshere has 'hit the wall' and needs a rest, Wenger warns England
Saturday 07 May 2011
Arsene Wenger will speak to Fabio Capello over Jack Wilshere's impending participation in the European Under-21 Championship.
Wilshere was named in Stuart Pearce's squad this week and Wenger said he will ask the England manager "to consider the consequences" of the 19-year-old playing a summer tournament at the end of a busy season.
This has been a watershed campaign for Wilshere. He has become a regular member of the Arsenal first team, and has made 46 appearances in all competitions so far. More to the point, he has won four senior England caps and these two elevations have led to Wenger's questioning the usefulness of Wilshere playing in Denmark next month.
While Wenger does not seek to change Wilshere's mind on the matter, he is keen for England to show some restraint in their use of the young midfielder. "I would ask Fabio Capello to consider the consequences of a boy who is 19 years old who has played around 50 games at the end of the season," Wenger said.
Arsenal travel to Stoke City tomorrow, and Wenger confirmed Aaron Ramsey will play. It was at the Britannia Stadium where Ryan Shawcross broke Ramsey's leg in February last year. Ramsey will play because Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri are injured.
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school