Women's Euro 2009: Aluko's double deflates hosts and puts England into semis
Friday 04 September 2009
Two goals from Eniola Aluko helped England women beat the hosts Finland to reach the semi-finals of Euro 2009 yesterday.
Hope Powell's side silenced the Finnish fans in Turku when Aluko slotted the ball into the far corner to open the scoring in the 14th minute. Fara Williams added a second from close range just after the break to make it 2-0 but Finland pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through substitute Annica Sjolund.
However, England's two-goal lead was immediately restored when Aluko ran through straight from kick-off to fire inside the post. Linda Sallstrom reduced the deficit, again from a corner from close range, but Finland could not find an equaliser despite laying siege to the England goal.
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Natural' energy drink banned for containing erectile dysfunction drug
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?