Women's Euro 2009: Aluko's double deflates hosts and puts England into semis
Friday 04 September 2009
Two goals from Eniola Aluko helped England women beat the hosts Finland to reach the semi-finals of Euro 2009 yesterday.
Hope Powell's side silenced the Finnish fans in Turku when Aluko slotted the ball into the far corner to open the scoring in the 14th minute. Fara Williams added a second from close range just after the break to make it 2-0 but Finland pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through substitute Annica Sjolund.
However, England's two-goal lead was immediately restored when Aluko ran through straight from kick-off to fire inside the post. Linda Sallstrom reduced the deficit, again from a corner from close range, but Finland could not find an equaliser despite laying siege to the England goal.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Manuel Pellegrini is dismissed
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Ed Miliband less influential than One Direction's Louis Tomlinson by official Doncaster power list
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for