Women's Euro 2009: Aluko's double deflates hosts and puts England into semis
Friday 04 September 2009
Two goals from Eniola Aluko helped England women beat the hosts Finland to reach the semi-finals of Euro 2009 yesterday.
Hope Powell's side silenced the Finnish fans in Turku when Aluko slotted the ball into the far corner to open the scoring in the 14th minute. Fara Williams added a second from close range just after the break to make it 2-0 but Finland pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through substitute Annica Sjolund.
However, England's two-goal lead was immediately restored when Aluko ran through straight from kick-off to fire inside the post. Linda Sallstrom reduced the deficit, again from a corner from close range, but Finland could not find an equaliser despite laying siege to the England goal.
Latest in Sport
Royal Rumble 2015: Roman Reigns triumphs after The Rock returns to set-up Wrestlemania showdown with Brock Lesnar
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? TV details and full card
Brighton 2 Arsenal 3 player ratings: Did Tomas Rosicky's performance and goal make him man of the match at Amex Stadium?
Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Glen Johnson to stay; Fabian Delph move goes up in flames; Marc-Andre Ter Stegen for loan deal
Brighton vs Arsenal match report: Tomas Rosicky inspirational as Gunners avoid scare
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy