Women's Euro 2009: Aluko's double deflates hosts and puts England into semis
Friday 04 September 2009
Two goals from Eniola Aluko helped England women beat the hosts Finland to reach the semi-finals of Euro 2009 yesterday.
Hope Powell's side silenced the Finnish fans in Turku when Aluko slotted the ball into the far corner to open the scoring in the 14th minute. Fara Williams added a second from close range just after the break to make it 2-0 but Finland pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through substitute Annica Sjolund.
However, England's two-goal lead was immediately restored when Aluko ran through straight from kick-off to fire inside the post. Linda Sallstrom reduced the deficit, again from a corner from close range, but Finland could not find an equaliser despite laying siege to the England goal.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea victory parade mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
Danny Ings to Tottenham: Spurs rival Liverpool for £6m Burnley striker
FA ban Aston Villa flag for the FA Cup final because it contains a reference to Arsenal
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises