Women's Football: World Cup boost as Yankey sees off US
Monday 04 April 2011
First-half goals from Jess Clarke and Rachel Yankey earned England a 2-1 victory over United States in Saturday's women's international at Leyton Orient.
Megan Rapinoe halved the deficit six minutes before the interval but the visitors could not find an equaliser after the break as England secured a confidence-boosting victory ahead of this year's World Cup.
Clarke went close with a flicked header before she drilled home an eighth-minute opener for England. Yankey then doubled the lead in the 26th minute, firing a a left-footed shot across goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart and into the top corner.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship