Word Cup 2014 play-off: Iceland v Croatia match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s World Cup play-off at the Laugardalsvollur Stadium
Friday 15 November 2013
Iceland will be hoping they can secure qualification to the World Cup for the first time in their history whilst Croatia have missed out just once since they first participated in 1998.
Croatia will be looking to the likes of Luka Modric, Bayern Munich’s Mario Mandzukic and Niko Kranjcar to turn the match in their favour, but the exciting frontline at the disposal of Iceland boss Lars Lagerback includes veteran Eidur Gudjohnsen and in form Gylfi Sigurdsson.
The countries have only met twice before, with Croatia coming out on top on both occasions scoring seven times and only conceding once.
KICK-OFF: Friday, 7pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Iceland 1 (Gudjohnsen) Croatia 3 (Balaban 2, Srna), World Cup, September 2005
Croatia 4 (Kovac 2, Simunic, Prso) Iceland 0, World Cup, March 2005
None of the qualifying runners-up have scored fewer goals than Croatia’s 12.
Both sides finished their group campaigns on 17 points.
Iceland’s Kolbeinn Sigthorsson has netted 13 goals in 19 games for his country.
Iceland to win: 4.4
Croatia to win: 2
Latest in Sport
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark