Word Cup 2014 play-off: Iceland v Croatia match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s World Cup play-off at the Laugardalsvollur Stadium
Friday 15 November 2013
Iceland will be hoping they can secure qualification to the World Cup for the first time in their history whilst Croatia have missed out just once since they first participated in 1998.
Croatia will be looking to the likes of Luka Modric, Bayern Munich’s Mario Mandzukic and Niko Kranjcar to turn the match in their favour, but the exciting frontline at the disposal of Iceland boss Lars Lagerback includes veteran Eidur Gudjohnsen and in form Gylfi Sigurdsson.
The countries have only met twice before, with Croatia coming out on top on both occasions scoring seven times and only conceding once.
KICK-OFF: Friday, 7pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Iceland 1 (Gudjohnsen) Croatia 3 (Balaban 2, Srna), World Cup, September 2005
Croatia 4 (Kovac 2, Simunic, Prso) Iceland 0, World Cup, March 2005
None of the qualifying runners-up have scored fewer goals than Croatia’s 12.
Both sides finished their group campaigns on 17 points.
Iceland’s Kolbeinn Sigthorsson has netted 13 goals in 19 games for his country.
Iceland to win: 4.4
Croatia to win: 2
Latest in Sport
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’