World Cup 2014: Argentina vs Switzerland – strengths, weaknesses and key men
A look ahead to the Last 16 encounter between these sides
Friday 27 June 2014
They have the best player in the world and he is desperate to win the World Cup. Lionel Messi has been remarkable so far, with four goals – three of them brilliant ones – in the group stage.
Despite a good defence and midfield, Argentina are yet to produce a complete performance, often appearing unbalanced, patchy and unable to control games, merely waiting for Messi to bail them out.
An easy choice, this one: Messi has been unbelievably good so far, and while the injury to the Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is a blow, it may even open up more space for him in central areas.
A generation of young, exciting, dynamic players. They were overwhelmed by a France side on top of their game but beat Ecuador and cut through Honduras playing fast, expansive football.
With Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos at the centre of defence, the Swiss are never going to be watertight. The five they conceded to France could have been far more than that.
Xherdan Shaqiri hat-trick hands Switzerland date with Argentina
Xherdan Shaqiri is Switzerland’s answer to Lionel Messi, and his hat-trick against Honduras was a display of explosive, ruthless finishing. He could be deadly if Argentina afford him a sliver of space.
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria reveals wish to return to Argentina - but don't worry Manchester United fans...
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Robin van Persie reveals Louis van Gaal wants Manchester United to 'be more Dutch and pull on the same rope'
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks