World Cup 2014: Brazil fan smashes TV while watching penalty shoot-out...then legs it next door to see the final kick
How not to watch a penalty shoot-out
Monday 30 June 2014
Penalty shoot-outs are a tense time for everyone, but it all got too much for this Brazil fan during their recent spot-kick success against Chile.
The supporter, Rafael Gambarim, was so overcome with emotion while watching the ending to the thrilling last 16 tie he banged his fist against the TV after Julio Cesar saved from Alexis Sanchez to maintain Brazil's 1-0 lead in the shoot-out, and then had to quickly find somewhere else to watch the final spot-kicks.
“I was annoyed because he [Sanchez] scored [Chile’s first-half] goal against Brazil, and when he missed, I was elated. When they showed him I said: ‘Take that boy!’” Gambarim told news portal G1.
“There was a lot of emotion at the time.”
Despite smashing the set, Gambarim said the broken TV was the last thing on his mind with such a crucial match on, and his thoughts soon turned to one thing: Where could he watch the remainder of the match?
Watch the video below...
“TV, what TV? The problem was the penalties! We can always buy another TV, but we had to find a place to watch,” he said.
Read more: Neymar a doubt for quarter-final
Brazil's poster boy Neymar is born to handle penalty pressure
Match report: Brazil vs Chile
The 30-year-old from the city of Umuarama then ran to the house next door, where his neighbour agreed to let him and his cousins watch the rest of the match, which Brazil went on to win 3-2 on penalties.
Latest in Sport
Police probe Mario Balotelli racist abuse as Kick It Out voice their displeasure
Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3: Mario Balotelli and Gary Lineker lead the trolling of United
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Live: Manchester City vs Chelsea and Everton vs Crystal Palace, plus reaction to Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3
Louis Van Gaal: I will continue churning players to stop Manchester United going stale
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines