World Cup 2014: Cesare Prandelli extends Italy contract beyond Brazil World Cup and will remain in charge for the 2016 European Championships
Prandelli's contract was set to expire after the 2014 World Cup
Monday 26 May 2014
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has signed a two-year contract extension and will remain in charge of the Azzurri until 2016.
Prandelli's contract was set to run until after the World Cup in Brazil, but his new deal will take him through to the European Championship in France.
Speaking at Italy's headquarters in Coverciano, Florence, on Monday, Prandelli said: "I'm late for the press conference due to the fact that we were signing the contract.
"We are not going to get into the details regarding the future because we have a very important aim now.
"From September onwards, we can discuss those."
The 56-year-old Prandelli had been assured by Italy's Football Federation (FIGC) of an extension several months ago.
"The Federation wanted to include my image rights and this is why it (the contract) took longer," he said.
The former Fiorentina tactician replaced Marcello Lippi at the helm of the national team in 2010.
He led Italy to a runners-up finish at Euro 2012 and to third place in last year's Confederations Cup.
The Azzurri ended their World Cup qualifying campaign unbeaten and top of Group B with 22 points from 10 games.
Italy will play England, Costa Rica and Uruguay in Group D at this summer's top tournament.
Latest in Sport
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter