World Cup 2014 countdown: Jimmy Greaves tackles a dog in 1962
Counting down the 100 greatest moments in the history of the World Cup
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past.
That won't be easy though, as this series will testify. In the run-up to the tournament, we're counting down the 100 greatest World Cup moments.
Check out our latest instalment below, and for any you missed, see the gallery at the end of the article.
Jimmy Greaves tackles a dog in 1962
During England's quarter-final with Brazil at the 1962 World Cup there was a pitch invasion of the canine variety.
A few minutes into the match a stray dog came onto the field, and proved even harder to tackle than Pele.
After escaping the advances of Brazilian goalkeeper Gilmar and then Garrincha, Jimmy Greaves stepped in. The England striker got down on all fours before wrestling the dog to the ground and handing it over to the officials.
But during the incident, the dog urinated all over Greaves and he was forced to play the rest of the match smelling of dog wee.
Legend has it that Brazil star Garrincha found the incident so amusing, he later adopted the dog.
Lincoln MP Karl McCartney 'denied all knowledge' of the Twitter activity
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
- 1 Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler following death of batsman Phil Hughes
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 4 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 5 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries