World Cup 2014 countdown: Red mist descends on David Beckham in 1998
Counting down the 100 greatest moments in the history of the World Cup
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past.
That won't be easy though, as this series will testify. In the run-up to the tournament, we're counting down the 100 greatest World Cup moments.
Check out our latest instalment below, and for any you missed, see the gallery at the end of the article.
Red mist descends on David Beckham in 1998
Before the 1998 World Cup, Beckham was still a rising star. His relationship with Victoria was blossoming and his career at Manchester United was taking shape.
Yet post tournament, everyone knew who he was, and not only that, most people hated him.
An excellent tournament, in which he scored his first goal for England, imploded in one crazy moment against Argentina. Lying on the floor, Beckham kicked out at Diego Simeone. The referee saw the incident and showed him a straight red card.
At the time, England were level with Argentina and if anything were on top. But Beckham's red card changed the game and eventually England were beaten.
Beckham was blamed for England's failure, effigies were burnt and years of abuse followed. The Beckham story had truly begun.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester City paid the price for not dealing with Barcelona's Sergio Busquets
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Paul Scholes: Jose Mourinho's attempt to influence football's decision-makers is not working. In fact, it may have backfired
Piers Morgan 'hurt' after Arsenal legend Bob Wilson questions his support for the Gunners and labels him a 'pompous individual'
Brooklyn Beckham to be released: Why Arsenal could regret letting David Beckham's son depart
- 1 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What colour is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia