World Cup 2014 countdown: Romania go blonde in 1998
Counting down the 100 greatest moments in the history of the World Cup
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past.
That won't be easy though, as this series will testify. In the run-up to the tournament, we're counting down the 100 greatest World Cup moments.
Check out our latest instalment below, and for any you missed, see the gallery at the end of the article.
Romania go blonde in 1998
After beating England in the group stages of the 1998 World Cup, it's as if the power went to the Romanians heads, literally.
The entire team dyed their hair blonde, giving them the appearance of extras in a Slim Shady music video.
The plan was supposed to bring them good luck - but they were dumped out of the tournament in the second round by Croatia - providing more than enough ammunition for a few blonde jokes.
Latest in Sport
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories