World Cup 2014 dates: When is the opening ceremony?
The key dates for this summer's tournament
This summer's World Cup will begin with the opening ceremony immediately prior to the first game of the tournament on Thursday June 12.
The opening game of the tournament will see the hosts take on Croatia, with the game kicking off at 9pm BST.
That game, and what is expected to be a lavish opening ceremony, will be held at the Arena de Sao Paulo.
UPDATE: Jennifer Lopez is expected to perform the official World Cup song, "We Are One (Ole Ola)", at the opening ceremony.
In total there will be 64 games in Brazil ending with the final at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday 13 July.
Kirstie Allsopp has waded into the female fertility debate again
Gillian Anderson lays into gender disparity in Hollywood
The Sistine Chapel is set to be illuminated with thousands of LEDs
Latest in Sport
Arsene Wenger 18th anniversary at Arsenal: His WORST signings XI during his time with the Gunners
18 things Wenger has still never done at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger's worst signings XI
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Nani: On loan Sporting Lisbon winger admits he may not return to Manchester United
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'