World Cup 2014: England players' passport numbers go out with team sheet - and then quickly onto Twitter
The gaffe was made during the build up to the draw with Ecuador in Miami
Thursday 05 June 2014
The passport numbers of members of the England football squad were circulating on Twitter after they were released on the team sheet for the friendly game against Ecuador last night.
The real signatures of Frank Lampard, who signed off the team, and director of England team operations Michelle Farrar, were also visible on the list, which was handed out to the media.
The passport numbers of the Ecuador squad were also released at the Sun Life Stadium in Miami.
England’s starting 11 against Ecuador plus seven substitutes were affected.
The list leaked out after it was tweeted by England’s sponsor, Vauxhall, and others. A Vauxhall spokesman said: “We realised we made a mistake immediately and the tweet was deleted from our account within a minute. We have apologised to the FA for any embarrassment caused.”
However, by then the list had been retweeted numerous times.
The Football Association said it was aware of the situation. A spokesman said: “It is a matter for the match organisers. The publication and distribution of the team sheets are their responsibility.”
Some tried to see the funny side. Gary Lineker, the former player turned TV presenter, joked: “England have never lost a World Cup in which the players’ passport numbers were on a pre-tournament friendly team sheet.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat