World Cup 2014: Fabio Capello branded a 'thief' by a Russian politician as fallout over dismal exit continues
Capello was the highest-paid of all 32 coaches at the tournament
Fabio Capello has been branded a 'thief' by a controversial politician after Russia's poor performance at the World Cup in Brazil.
Russia crashed out of at the group stage despite being favourites to qualify alongside Belgium in Group H. Algeria qualified at their expense after Capello's team could only muster two goals and two points from their three matches.
According to Forbes the former England boss earns an annual salary of £6.5m-per-year, the highest of any of the 32 coaches at the World Cup.
Controversial Russian right-wing politician Vladimir Zhrinovsky has now demamnded that Capello face a parliamentary inquest because of his massive wage.
"We need to look into this work and ask him to resign. But he’s greedy, so of course he won’t," Zhrinovsky told Russian media.
"It’s pretty good to get [millions] for doing nothing. The team lost and it doesn’t affect his pay in any way. Thief!"
Zhrinovsky even criticised his dress sense after Capello sported a red sleeveless jumper in the draw with Algeria: "Even the way he looks makes it hard to like him. He looks like a schoolteacher."
Oleg Pakholkov, a fellow member of the Russian parliament agreed, adding that Capello had taken the job to "hoover up bundles of cash for his retirement."
The Italian is contracted to the 2018 World Cup, which Russia will host.
Latest in Sport
Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt: Examining the Impact of 'Taker's WWE WrestleMania return
Paul Scholes: Manchester City paid the price for not dealing with Barcelona's Sergio Busquets
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Paul Scholes: Jose Mourinho's attempt to influence football's decision-makers is not working. In fact, it may have backfired
Piers Morgan 'hurt' after Arsenal legend Bob Wilson questions his support for the Gunners and labels him a 'pompous individual'
- 1 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 2 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 3 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 4 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'