World Cup 2014 final - Germany vs Argentina team news: Angel Di Maria extremely doubtful for final after further injury setback
Midfielder was in line for shock return to line up before latest injury
Sunday 13 July 2014
Angel Di Maria's mooted shock return to Argentina's starting line-up looks like being put on hold after the midfielder pulled out of training with a new injury setback.
The Albiceleste were rumoured to be considering the risky option of starting Di Maria in tonight's final, but that now seems unlikely given he appears to have pulled up with a thigh injury.
Given his importance to the side, it is not surprising that manager Alejandro Sabella is keen to try and use the midfielder in the biggest game of his career so far.
Di Maria has been undergoing intensive treatment on the previous injury he sustained in Argentina's quarter-final win over Belgium, and seemed to be doing well, coming through fitness tests on Saturday, so pulling up in training is a blow to his country's hopes.
Sabella said: "We will see on Di Maria. We have special things planned for him. We will see. I'll have a better idea after we've trained."
If Di Maria is not fit then it is believed that Enzo Perez will keep his place in the side.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Latest in Sport
Manchester United official team photo: Antonio Valencia and Anderson pull the funniest faces
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Five things we learnt, including Danny Welbeck must be more clinical and Hector Bellerin debut
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal player ratings: How did Ozil and Welbeck do in Germany?
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Mesut Ozil given the worst rating possible by German newspaper Bild after poor performance
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'