World Cup 2014: Gary Lewin and the strangest injuries in sport
England's World Cup physio joins an illustrious list
Sunday 15 June 2014
Gary Lewin has had to return home from the World Cup after suffering a fracture and dislocation of his ankle celebrating England's first-half equaliser in Saturday night's 2-1 defeat against Italy.
While Daniel Sturridge celebrated his close-range strike in his normal style, Lewin opted to jump off the bench and injure himself in the process.
Lewin might feel a bit foolish for picking up such a bizarre injury, but he's not the first sportsman to be hurt in strange circumstances.
From monster carps and coffee tables to exploding eggs and household pets, we run down some of the strangest injuries in sport...
Lewin will be replaced by his assistant Steve Kemp for the remainder of the tournament.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more