World Cup 2014: How the 32 teams ranked based on expectations and quality
Germany and Argentina might be through to the final, but we select the alternative winners from Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Saturday 12 July 2014
This summer's tournament in Brazil has by common consent been one of the best ever World Cups.
But heading into the tournament, there were some nations that were never going to make it all the way to the final at the Maracana. Smaller populations, a less glamorous history and fewer resources meant going all the way for some was never likely.
So here we recognise those teams, the ones that achieved most against their expectations and quality.
Who do you think should have been top? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Arsenal shareholders Stan Kroenke, Alisher Usmanov and Farhad Moshiri appear on Forbes' rich list - with a combined net worth of £14.9bn
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw