World Cup 2014: How the 32 teams ranked based on expectations and quality
Germany and Argentina might be through to the final, but we select the alternative winners from Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Saturday 12 July 2014
This summer's tournament in Brazil has by common consent been one of the best ever World Cups.
But heading into the tournament, there were some nations that were never going to make it all the way to the final at the Maracana. Smaller populations, a less glamorous history and fewer resources meant going all the way for some was never likely.
So here we recognise those teams, the ones that achieved most against their expectations and quality.
Who do you think should have been top? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Manchester United combined XI: No place for Yaya Toure... or any United defenders
EXCLUSIVE: F1 heading for eastern revolution as new team emerges from Romania
Impressive Kurt Zouma may save Chelsea millions by replacing John Terry
Shrewsbury vs Chelsea player ratings: Mohamed Salah? Oscar? Didier Drogba? Who was the star?
Capital One Cup fifth-round draw: Chelsea meet Derby, Tottenham face Newcastle, Liverpool travel to Bournemouth
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Number of global billionaires has doubled since the financial crisis
- 3 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 4 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 5 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'