World Cup 2014: How the 32 teams ranked based on expectations and quality
Germany and Argentina might be through to the final, but we select the alternative winners from Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Saturday 12 July 2014
This summer's tournament in Brazil has by common consent been one of the best ever World Cups.
But heading into the tournament, there were some nations that were never going to make it all the way to the final at the Maracana. Smaller populations, a less glamorous history and fewer resources meant going all the way for some was never likely.
So here we recognise those teams, the ones that achieved most against their expectations and quality.
Who do you think should have been top? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers