World Cup 2014: How the 32 teams ranked based on expectations and quality
Germany and Argentina might be through to the final, but we select the alternative winners from Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Saturday 12 July 2014
This summer's tournament in Brazil has by common consent been one of the best ever World Cups.
But heading into the tournament, there were some nations that were never going to make it all the way to the final at the Maracana. Smaller populations, a less glamorous history and fewer resources meant going all the way for some was never likely.
So here we recognise those teams, the ones that achieved most against their expectations and quality.
Who do you think should have been top? Let us know in the comments below.
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo applauded by Liverpool fans after master-class for Real Madrid, despite Manchester United ties
Angel Di Maria injury latest: Argentina international set to play in Manchester United vs Chelsea match
Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Cristiano Ronaldo says he is playing Barca - not just Lionel Messi - in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Erik Lamela goal: Best tweets and reaction to Tottenham man's Rabona
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo