Lionel Messi does not need to win the World Cup to be considered a great, says Jose Mourinho
Messi stumbled at the final hurdle in the defeat to Germany in the Maracana
Monday 14 July 2014
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has said that Lionel Messi does not need to win the World Cup to go down in the pantheon of great players.
The Argentina No 10 suffered defeat in the World Cup final and struggled to really have an impact as Germany won 1-0 after extra-time in the Maracana.
The 27-year-old scored four times in seven matches at the tournament but failed to find the net in the four knockout stages.
However, none of that matters according to the Chelsea manager, who says Messi is still one of the best ever.
"It's easy to respect him when he has won but when he has lost, it's not so easy," the Portuguese told Yahoo.
"He is still a historical player. He does not need to be world champion to be a historical player, especially in this last decade.
"For me Pele is Pele and Maradona is Maradona. It's not for me to compare players from different generations. Maybe because he is from the same generation as when I was born -- for me Maradona is Maradona."
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Radamel Falcao analysis: Manchester United have signed a top talent yet to hit his stride
Danny Welbeck signs for Arsenal: Gunners confirm signing of striker from Manchester United
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal triggers United upheaval as 13 players leave club since manager arrived
Transfer round-up: Complete club-by-club guide to the 2014 transfer window as Radamel Falcao and Diego Costa head £835m influx
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’