World Cup 2014: Luis Suarez putting in 'triple shifts' to be fully fit for Uruguay
Liverpool striker still recovering from last month's knee surgery
Luis Suarez is putting in “triple shifts” to ensure he is fully fit to play for Uruguay after knee surgery last month.
The Liverpool hitman is still a doubt for Uruguay’s opening World Cup game against Costa Rica on Saturday, but the 27-year-old’s team-mate Cristian Rodriguez said he was doing all he can to be ready.
"He is very focused," said Rodriguez. "He is working in double and triple shifts and we hope to have him with us soon."
Surez had keyhole surgery on May 22 to repair meniscus damage in his left knee.
Uruguay meet Roy Hodgson’s England on 19 June and then face Italy in their final group game on 25 June.
Read more: Raheem Sterling set for No 10 role against Italy
Liverpool deal for Moreno stalls over payment structure
A blagger's guide to the World Cup
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez still does not know when Suarez will be ready, although he said the striker was “responding very well” to his training programme.
Tabarez said: "As we have no set deadlines, I don't know if we'll have him for the first match, for the second, for the third.
"If it were up to me, Suarez would play tomorrow."
Latest in Sport
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly 2 report: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
WWE Survivor Series 2014: Start time and full match card
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'