World Cup 2014: Neymar masterclass fires up Brazil
Wednesday 04 June 2014
Neymar gave Brazil fans an appetiser for what they can expect in the forthcoming World Cup when he scored one goal and set up two others in a 4-0 win over Panama.
The Barcelona striker's masterclass enabled a strong Brazil side, missing only Tottenham's Paulinho from their most likely starting XI, to stroll to victory over mediocre opposition in a friendly in Goiania.
After a quiet start, Luiz Felipe Scolari's side took the lead in the 27th minute, Neymar curling home a free-kick from a central position after he had been brought down just outside the penalty area.
It was two five minutes before half-time, Dani Alves' angled 20-yard drive creeping in at the far post beyond goalkeeper Oscar McFarlane's rather late dive.
Brazil's third arrived just after half-time, Neymar sending Hulk in on goal with an exquisite backheel through a rather slow and square Panama defence and the Zenit St Petersburg striker finished emphatically into the bottom corner.
The pick of Brazil's goal was the fourth with 17 minutes to go when a delightful run and pass from Neymar played in Maxwell down the left. His shot was blocked but the ball fell to Willian, who fired home.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Southampton: Frank Lampard shuns the limelight ahead of his Premier League farewell
Francis Coquelin: The would-be Zinedine Zidane now making an impression as Arsenal’s Claude Makelele
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Gunners snub that redefined Tim Sherwood
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger sets deadline for Theo Walcott contract talks with Liverpool keeping a close eye on his future
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises