World Cup 2014: Player profile - who is Randall Brenes, the Costa Rica forward?
Counting down the 100 players to look out for in Brazil this summer
Monday 10 March 2014
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past, but who will be the star of the show?
With 94 days to go until things kick-off, check out our latest instalment of 100 players to look out for at the competition below.
94. Randall Brenes (Costa Rica)
Brenes is a 5ft 8in striker who can sometimes drift wide onto either wing. On debut for Costa Rica, he came off the substitute’s bench to score twice in a 3-1 win over Cuba in the CONCAF Gold Cup. He’s relatively established in the national set up having made 34 appearances for the South American’s, scoring eight goals.
Costa Rica’s hopes of reaching the knockout phase may well depend on the 30-year-old's goal-scoring exploits, although they probably face the toughest task of any country to get through the group stage after being drawn against England, Uruguay and Italy in Group D.
Did you know? Brenes got on the score sheet against world champions Spain in a 2-2 draw in 2011
Watch some of Brenes' highlight below
Latest in Sport
Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Manchester United? 'My next move will be a surprise' says PSG striker
Javier Hernandez to Tottenham: Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino rejects reports over move for Manchester United striker
John Stones transfer latest: Manchester United interest could bump Chelsea bid up to £34m as Everton hold out for asking price
Mario Balotelli told he has no future at Liverpool as striker trains away from first-team
Ashes 2015 live: Latest score as England claim eight-wicket victory to take a 2-1 series lead over Australia after crushing win
- 1 Stuart Baggs dies: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 2 Whoopi Goldberg tells Cara Delevingne to suck it up: 'She's not famous. I'M famous'
- 3 1000 people played Foo Fighters simultaneously to try and get them to play their city
- 4 Every club should be like Labour – you can’t join as a new member unless you’re already a member
- 5 Doctor Who: Christopher Eccleston says why he left the BBC series after just one series