World Cup 2014: Player profile - who is Raphael Varane, the France defender?
Counting down the 100 players to look out for in Brazil this summer
Wednesday 05 March 2014
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past, but who will be the star of the show?
With 98 days to go until things kick-off, check out our latest instalment of 100 players to look out for at the competition below.
98. Raphael Varane (France)
Arguably the most promising defender in world football, Zinedine Zidane personally recommended that Real Madrid sign Verane in 2011.
The 20-year-old has displaced Pepe at the heart of the Spanish giants’ defence and has barely put a foot wrong since. Quick, strong, dominant in the air and freakishly composed on the ball, Varane is perhaps the most precious of jewels in France’s crown.
Last year, Spanish tabloid Marca included him in Madrid’s best ever foreign XI, alongside Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo.
Did you know: After a Champions League match against Galatasaray, Didier Drogba described Verane as one of the best defenders he’s ever faced.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader