World Cup 2014 play-off: Portugal v Sweden match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s World Cup qualifier at the Estadio da Luz
Friday 15 November 2013
Portugal welcome Sweden in arguably the stand out match of play-offs - which is being billed as Zlatan Ibrahimovic v Cristiano Ronaldo. Both men are in fine form with the Portuguese man scoring 15 times in his last ten games for club and country whilst the enigmatic Swede has struck 14 times.
Sweden come into the game having only lost once out of their last six games, losing 5-3 to Germany, whilst Portugal have only won three times during their last six internationals.
Ibrahimovic usually rises to the occasion for his national side, having scored 11 times in his last ten games including six in this current qualifying campaign.
KICK-OFF: Friday, 7.45pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Portugal 0 Sweden 0, World Cup, March 2009
Portugal 0 Sweden 0, World Cup, October 2008
Sweden 2 (Pettersson, Allback) Portugal 3 (Conceicao, Romeu, Rui Costa), International, October 2002
Bruno Alves has scored as many goals (4) as Ronaldo in qualifying.
Ronaldo has scored six times in his last ten international games.
Ibrahimovic has scored 46 times in 94 appearances for Sweden.
Portugal’s longest run without a loss is ten games.
Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo have played together only seven times scoring three goals between them.
Portugal to win: 1.7
Sweden to win: 6
TV: Live on Sky Sports 1 at 7.45pm
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'