World Cup 2014: Portugal pair Fabio Coentrao and Hugo Almeida out for the rest of the group stage
The pair were injured in 4-0 thrashing by Germany
Tuesday 17 June 2014
Fabio Coentrao and Hugo Almeida are set to miss the rest of Portugal’s Group G campaign after picking up injuries in yesterday’s defeat to Germany.
Centre-forward Almeida was substituted after suffering a muscle injury in the first-half before Real Madrid full-back Coentrao was stretchered off in the 65 minute.
Portugal physio Henrique Jones confirmed both players would be sidelined for “more than 10 days” and would therefore miss the remaining group matches against the USA and Ghana.
“I’m afraid that my World Cup has come to an end. I think it’s a serious injury, though I hope it’s not,” said Coentrao.
“These things happen in our profession and, unfortunately, today it fell to me. It’s a very sad day, one of the saddest of my life,” he added.
The news will come as a blow to Portugal, who will also be without Pepe for their must-win game against USA on Friday after the defender was sent off for a headbutt on Thomas Muller and will face at least a one-game ban – although that could be extended to three if he is found guilty of violent conduct by Fifa.
Latest in Sport
Jose Mourinho: 'The dogs bark and the caravan goes by,' Chelsea manager gives cryptic assessment after Blues win title
Floyd Mayweather next opponent: Mayweather more likely to pick a former foe than a fresh contender like Amir Khan in Las Vegas lottery
Manchester United transfer news: Adnan Januzaj to be offered in deal for Memphis Depay
Arsenal transfer news: Tomas Rosicky and Mathieu Flamini set for showdown summer talks over future
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger reveals: 'We are not close to signing anybody. We need to lose some players'
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want