World Cup 2014: Roy Hodgson hopeful Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will be back for Uruguay
Arsenal midfielder will not recover from a knee injury in time to face Italy
The Arsenal midfielder suffered a knee injury in the 2-2 friendly against Ecuador in Miami last Wednesday, and was forced off in the 63rd-minute.
While England's opening fixture of the tournament against Italy on 14 June will come too soon for the 20-year-old, Hodgson claims that he could be back in action against the South Americans.
"Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain did very well [in training]," Hodgson said in his press briefing today. "It was very positive, he was running so well and so fast and we will be stepping up his recovery in due course.
"We are hoping [he will be back for] Uruguay but no guarantee."
Watch Sam Wallace's latest World Cup video from Brazil below:
Hodgson has taken a young squad to Brazil and added: "It's very exciting. We have a lot of potential but before we build people up too much and say how good they are, let's see some performances.
"I'm not trying to play down that the future is bright but what I'm saying is we are also going to need our experienced players."
Latest in Sport
John Stones to Chelsea: Everton defender 'devastated' by transfer refusal
Joey Barton joins Burnley: Ex-QPR midfielder signs one-year deal, immediately regrets tweet criticising living the Lancashire town last year
Manchester United transfer news: United 'make £21.9m bid' for Lazio's Felipe Anderson
David De Gea to Real Madrid: £30m transfer to be finalised by Monday, Manchester United goalkeeper's representatives 'confident'
Paul Pogba to Chelsea: Transfer news live - John Stones latest, Gareth Bale and Neymar to Manchester United, Edinson Cavani to Arsenal
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say