World Cup 2014: The 10 best penalty takers, including Mario Balotelli, Cristiano Ronaldo and Yaya Toure
A look at the deadliest spot-kick takers taking part in Brazil
On the World Cup journey to death or glory, inevitably penalty kicks will play a part.
Whether a spot-kick splits a game that looks unlikely to divide two sides or a shoot-out at the end of 120 minutes is needed, the ability to score from 12 yards can't be underestimated.
Ever since the first shoot-out in a World Cup final in 1994, they dreaded spot-kicks have become synonymous with the tournament. For England they have invariably been disastrous, for others they have resulted in jubilation.
But which players will be charged with scoring the vital penalties in Brazil? We take a look at some of deadliest players from the spot who will likely be stepping up at some point this summer.
Who would you most trust to take a penalty at the World Cup? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
England vs Lithuania: Roy Hodgson set to resist calls to start with Spurs striker Harry Kane
Paul Scholes: Frustrated Steven Gerrard should have started crucial game between Liverpool and Manchester United
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
England vs Lithuania: Theo Walcott 'at risk of being left behind' in Three Lions pecking order
- 1 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 2 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 3 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Cate Blanchett loses temper during interview: 'That's your f**king question?'