World Cup 2014: The 10 best penalty takers, including Mario Balotelli, Cristiano Ronaldo and Yaya Toure
A look at the deadliest spot-kick takers taking part in Brazil
On the World Cup journey to death or glory, inevitably penalty kicks will play a part.
Whether a spot-kick splits a game that looks unlikely to divide two sides or a shoot-out at the end of 120 minutes is needed, the ability to score from 12 yards can't be underestimated.
Ever since the first shoot-out in a World Cup final in 1994, they dreaded spot-kicks have become synonymous with the tournament. For England they have invariably been disastrous, for others they have resulted in jubilation.
But which players will be charged with scoring the vital penalties in Brazil? We take a look at some of deadliest players from the spot who will likely be stepping up at some point this summer.
Who would you most trust to take a penalty at the World Cup? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'