World Cup Countdown: 24/05/2010
18 days to go
Monday 24 May 2010
Blood problem rules Diarra out of finals
France midfielder Lassana Diarra will miss the World Cup finals after leaving their training camp in the Alpine resort of Tignes, having been unable to train for three days. The Real Madrid player was suffering from stomach pains triggered by a genetic red blood cell disorder which causes chronic fatigue. His condition may have been aggravated by altitude. "It won't have any bearing on the rest of his career, but he's not fit to play in the World Cup," said the France coach, Raymond Domenech. The manager has yet to decide whether he will replace Diarra in his 24-man provisional squad. "We have a few days to make that decision," he said.
* The Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer joins Harry Kewell on the sidelines, with both missing today's friendly against New Zealand in Melbourne. The Fulham goalkeeper injured his thumb in training last week while Galatasaray midfielder Kewell is still not ready to return after a groin injury.
Quote of the day
"I don't play alone, and I can't perform miracles."
Portugal's £80m man Ronaldo being reassuringly modest. He obviously hasn't seen the unveiling of his statue in that new advert yet.
Realisation of the day
"The brutal reality of going to the World Cup is that you could get beaten five-nil every game." - The New Zealand captain, Ryan Nelson, accepting the mammoth task ahead of his side next month.
Wishful thinking of the day
"My stomach tells me we are going to do well. I have a positive feeling." - South Africa's coach Carlos Alberto Parreira weighs up the hosts' chances; they did recently beat Thailand 4-0 in a friendly.
Bizarre team-building of the day
Despite trying to shake off a calf injury, France's William Gallas declared himself fit enough to race a dune buggy in the training camp yesterday. He crashed, rolling the car over, but fortunately escaped with just a graze on his hand.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail