Worthington calls for heroes
Saturday 05 September 2009
Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington gave a history lesson to his players on the eve of the World Cup qualifier against Poland and urged them to become heroes.
The province would go top of Group Three should they achieve a victory in Chorzow and Slovakia lose to the Czech Republic. With four successive victories in the campaign, there is a quiet confidence in the camp.
Worthington has already experienced the joy that comes with playing in the finals – he was part of the Northern Ireland side that secured a place in Mexico 23 years ago. Now he wants his team to emulate the class of 1986 and 1982, when they also mixed it with the world's best.
"What happened then is a great selling tool to the players and I know this group would love to emulate those sides from the past," he said. "Over the course of the next three games there is a magnificent stage for heroes to put us on the map."
Northern Ireland will look to complete the double over Poland and then face Slovakia at Windsor Park on Wednesday with their final qualifier taking place next month against the Czech Republic in Prague.
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship