Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo make up Uefa's Best Player in Europe short list
Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have been named on the short list for UEFA's Best Player in Europe award.
The three nominated players received the most overall points from the first round of voting for the award which will be presented in Monaco on 30 August.
Iniesta and Messi, who both play for Barcelona, will be joined by Real Madrid midfielder Ronaldo on the short list, with Juventus' Andrea Pirlo and Barcelona's Xavi Hernandez just missing out.
Bangor City's Les Davies, who featured on the 32-man long list for the award, was another who did not make it to the final round.
The original list was drawn up by one selected journalist from each UEFA member country voting for five players.
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
As England’s new football strip – made by Nike – is revealed today, new research shows the English F...
by Alex Miller
20 May 2013 04:52 PM
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.