As Gareth Bale prepares for his Real Madrid debut, is there any guarantee the 'world's most expensive player' will be a success
Charting the successes and failures of the players that cost the earth
Friday 13 September 2013
This weekend Gareth Bale is expected to make his debut for Real Madrid after completing a world record transfer of £86m.
The pressure is on the former Tottenham player to live up to his price-tag - but is there a chance it will weigh him down?
Here, we take a look at the players who at one stage held the title of world's most expensive player - and assess if they were worth the money...
Click HERE or click 'VIEW GALLERY' to launch our guide
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Arsenal vs Besiktas: Seven reasons why Arsenal could suffer a Champions League upset
MK Dons vs Manchester United League Cup match report: Louis van Gaal is humiliated after Jonny Evans' error sparks drubbing
Fernando Torres: Chelsea striker insisting on permanent AC Milan deal - reports
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal wants Juventus midfielder to join Angel Di Maria in £34m deal
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?