Barry are buried by Porto blitz

FC Porto 8 Barry Town 0
Click to follow
The Independent Football

Barry Town's Champions' League pretensions were put in sharp perspective here last night when they were torn apart by the Portuguese champions.

Porto scored five times in the opening period as the Welsh side struggled to live with their more illustrious opponents in this second qualifying round first leg.

Anderson Deco netted a first-half hat-trick as Porto, 18-time Portuguese champions, practically secured their passage with only a quarter of the tie played.

Renivaldo Pena took just 13 minutes to break the deadlock, netting a far-post volley, and Deco opening his account nine minutes later from the penalty spot after he had been pulled down by the full-back, Terry Evans.

Deco grabbed his second 60 seconds later with another penalty after handball by Andy York, and three minutes from the break Sven Soderstrom made it 4-0 with a powerful, low shot before Deco completed his hat-trick in the 44th minute with a lob.

Within six minutes of the restart it was 7-0 after Pena scored with two headers, one at the far post and the other a diving effort.

As if tired of scoring, Porto sat back for a while, giving Barry, who had beaten Azerbaijan's Shamkir in the previous round, the chance to display their workmanlike skills. But in the 71st minute, Pena was again set up by the art of Deco for his fourth of the night making it 8-0.

Tim Clarke made a fine save 10 minutes from time to deny Pena a fifth.

Barry had a final flourish of possession but they never looked likely to breach the Porto defence to claim the consolation of a goal.

Porto: Ovchinnikov; Secretario, Andrade, Jorge Costa, Mario, Paredes, Soderstrom, Deco, Clayton, Capucho, Pena. Substitutes: Espinha, Carvallo, Alenitchev, Alessandro, Maric, Candido Costa, Tiutiana.

Barry Town: Clarke; Brown, Terry Evans, Phillips, York, Morgan, Lloyd, John French, Staton, Flynn, Moralee. Substitutes: Jamie Jenkins, Forde, Kennedy, Scott, Sharp.