Beckham strikes twice to earn draw for Galaxy
Monday 05 May 2008
David Beckham scored twice on Saturday, both trademark long-range efforts, as the Los Angeles Galaxy came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Real Salt Lake.
Beckham had worked on his free-kicks during training in the week before the Real match because he had been off-target too often in recent games. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't," he said. "Tonight they did."
Beckham's first goal was scored from about 25 yards: the England midfielder controlled a bouncing pass before curving a shot past the Salt Lake goalkeeper, Nick Rimando, and inside the far post. The second came from a 30-yard free-kick, which Beckham bent inside the left-hand post.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
AEL Limassol vs Tottenham match report: Erik Lamela shrugs off last season’s woes to set up Spurs fightback
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians