Best's cup medal sells for £156,000
Thursday 21 October 2010
George Best's European Cup winner's medal sold at auction for £156,000 yesterday.
The Manchester United star, who died in 2005, won the medal with the Old Trafford club in their 1968 4-1 triumph over Benfica. The medal was estimated to fetch between £90,000 and £120,000 at Bonhams in Chester.
The medal was among 13 awards, presented to Best during his illustrious career, which were sold.
The total, £200,000, goes to Best's sister, Barbara McNally.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Latest in Sport
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile