Chelsea racism video: Police release images of three Chelsea fans wanted in connection with Paris Metro incident

Police are urging the public to help identify the men

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Police searching for Chelsea football fans involved in a racist incident on a Paris Metro on Tuesday have released images of three men, as part of a public appeal.

The Metropolitan Police believe the trio were among a group of Chelsea supporters who pushed a black man off a train and chanted a racist song as they were on their way to a Champions League match against Paris Saint-Germain in the French capital.

Officers are urging members of the public who recognise the men to come forward and identify them.

 

Footage captured by a bystander at the station appears to show the man being pushed off the train and back on to the platform amid chants of "we're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it".

The group is then heard shouting and gesturing at Souleymane, before pushing him out of the carriage when he steps in.

The police appeal comes after the football club suspended another two people from its Stamford Bridge ground following investigations into the incident. The number of fans banned from the club over the incident now stands at five.

Chelsea has stressed that anyone proved to have been involved in the racist altercation will be banned from the club for life, and said its staff are helping police officers in the UK and Paris with their respective investigations.

Earlier this week, the man pushed off the train, who has only been identified as 33-year-old Souleymane S, said he was “humiliated” during the incident which he said is club's "responsibility".

Souleymane also said had attempted to contact the Premier League club via his lawyer, but had not yet received a response.

Speaking of his ordeal, Souleymane told BBC Radio 5 Live Drive: "I felt truly wounded to the bottom of my heart that I really couldn't believe it.

"We're in 2015 aren't we and we're in France,” adding: "Of course it's Chelsea's responsibility. It's their supporters."

Chelsea officials have said they are "appalled" and have apologised to the victim, while manager Jose Mourinho said he was "ashamed" of the fans involved.

The club says it has also invited Souleymane and his family to London to attend the second leg of the European clash against PSG on March 11.

Scotland Yard said it takes such matters "very seriously" and is investigating whether the supporters involved should be issued with football banning orders.

Those with information are urged to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments