Dalglish receives tribunal payment at last

Click to follow
The Independent Online

NEWCASTLE UNITED yesterday agreed to pay Kenny Dalglish compensation following his departure from the club more than a year ago.

NEWCASTLE UNITED yesterday agreed to pay Kenny Dalglish compensation following his departure from the club more than a year ago.

The figure is being kept secret but Dalglish, now Celtic's director of football operations, said that he was happy with the outcome of the tribunal,which was arbitrated by the Premier League. "I am pleased that everything has been resolved amicably," said the former Liverpool and Blackburnmanager, who has been chasing compensation since being replaced as manager at St James' Park by Ruud Gullit last year.

The Magpies' chairman, Freddy Shepherd, said: "I am pleased that this matter is satisfactorily behind us."

Manchester United's chief executive, Martin Edwards, has all but ruled out recruiting one of the world's top players, despite the club announcing arecord turnover of £110.7m yesterday. United, Britain's richest club, also saw a 20 per cent rise in operating profits, from last year's pounds27m to £32.3m.

"You go and spend a lot of money on one player but he might not do the trick for you," Edwards said. "Sometimes it's best to have a spread ofplayers. Over the last two seasons we've spent £40m on around seven players."

Shareholders of the Premiership leaders, Leeds United, yesterday voted in favour of selling nine per cent of the company to BSkyB. The satellitetelevision company already holds shares in Manchester United, and the £13.8m deal will see it take a significant stake in Leeds Sporting plc,which owns Leeds United.

The sale, agreed at an EGM at Elland Road yesterday, will see BSkyB act as exclusive media agents for Leeds Sporting for an initial five years.

The Leeds defender Jonathon Woodgate has been ruled out of Sunday's England friendly against Belgium at Sunderland's Stadium of Light with aback problem. The rest of Kevin Keegan's squad reported fit for duty yesterday.

The chief executive of the Scottish Premier League, Roger Mitchell, has countered suggestions of an Old Firm breakaway. Last week, the formerCeltic chief executive, Fergus McCann, indicated that involvement in a European or British league was the only way forward for the Parkhead club.Yesterday, his successor, Allan MacDonald, went even further, suggesting that Rangers and Celtic should link up with top clubs from theNetherlands, Belgium and Portugal in a new league structure.

"I am sick of dealing with these stories because under Uefa guidelines it cannot happen," Mitchell asserted. "The SPL is still in its infancy, and thereare many more advances we can make with Celtic and Rangers on board."

Manchester City are giving a trial to the Cameroon international striker Patrick Suffo, who plays for the French club Nantes. West Ham are hopingto complete the signing of Suffo's compatriot, the right-back Michel Pensee Billong, from another French club, St-Etienne, for around pounds500,000 this week. Newcastle are giving a trial to the Torino winger, Pietro Parente.

Comments