David Beckham's aides rubbish claims he will play Down Under despite Football Federation of Australia statement
Friday 16 November 2012
David Beckham's aides rushed out a statement this morning rubbishing claims he is in talks to play Down Under.
Football Federation Australia announced shortly before 7.30am they had been approached by Beckham’s camp about a short stay in the A-League.
The former England captain, who signed a two-year contract with LA Galaxy in January, has had two loan spells with AC Milan in Major League Soccer off-seasons. But within 20 minutes of the FFA statement, Beckham’s representatives insisted: “There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in David. There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia.”
However, Lyall Gormal, executive chairman of new A-League franchise Western Sydney Wanderers, said: “Clearly there have been some informal discussions so it [the Beckham statement] is a bit puzzling.”
“There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia,” Beckham's management team said in a statement released to Sky Sports in England on Friday.
“David is completely focused on the MLS playoffs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy.”
That poured cold water on the FFA's statement that they had been contacted by the player's agent and begun negotiations with one of the sport's iconic names.
“The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the A-League has grown in stature on a global basis,” the FFA said earlier on Friday.
“Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono.”
Local media in Australia had reported that Beckham was interested in a 10-game deal at the conclusion of the Major League Soccer season.
Beckham's Galaxy, reigning Major League Soccer champions, face the Seattle Sounders next week in the second leg of their Western Conference final after winning the home leg 3-0.
Beckham is out of contract at the end of the MLS season in December and has already been linked with the New York Red Bulls by American media, who speculate the move would allow his former popstar wife Victoria to pursue a fashion career.
Despite the FFA's disclosure, three Australian clubs had already distanced themselves from the former Real Madrid, Manchester United and AC Milan midfielder.
“That's great if he is coming,” Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou told local media. “Would we be interested? Nah.”
Western Sydney Wanderers executive chairman Lyall Gorman told Fairfax Media: “If we were approached, we would go through the normal process.
“We've had no approaches at all. We don't speculate on those things until they come across our table.”
Perth Glory denied any contact had been made but chief executive Paul Kelly said: “We would be mad not to seriously consider David Beckham.”
Former internationals Del Piero, Heskey and Ono have all recently joined A-League clubs, the Italian, Englishman and Japanese boosting the profile of soccer Down Under.
Beckham has spent two MLS off-seasons in Italy's Serie A with AC Milan and almost joined England's Tottenham Hotspur on a similar two-month loan in January.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Manchester City: With Arsene Wenger missing a number of key players, who could start the Community Shield clash?
Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
Chelsea transfer news: Didier Drogba returns to Stamford Bridge on one-year deal
Liverpool transfer news: Reds 'in talks' to sign Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan as summer spending threatens to exceed £100m
Manchester United: Five things we've learned so far about Louis van Gaal, including his ability to accommodate Juan Mata, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains