Edgar Davids joins Barnet: The most shocking transfer deals in history
Edgar Davids, the former Ajax, Juventus and Barcelona midfielder last night announced that he was joining the team currently propping up the Football League - Barnet.
The Dutchman will join primarily as a coach but has "expressed a serious intent to become a member of the playing squad" at the League Two side - two years after retiring.
Last night's announcement came as a surprise to everyone, but it's not the first bizarre transfer.
Here, we take a look at some other shocking deals.
Click here or click 'VIEW GALLERY' to launch our guide.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen