Euro 2016: England avoid Spain, Germany, Italy and Netherlands after being confirmed among qualifying seeds
Roy Hodgson's side cannot play Portugal, Greece, Russia and Bosnia-Herzegovina either
Friday 24 January 2014
England will be among the top seeds for the draw for the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, UEFA has announced.
It means England will be sure of avoiding the other eight top seeds Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Greece, Russia and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
There will be eight groups of six teams and a ninth group of five teams with 23 sides to join hosts France in the final tournament.
The seedings, decided by UEFA's coefficient system which is different to FIFA's world ranking, will see the Republic of Ireland among the pot of second seeds, Scotland and Wales in the pot of the fourth seeds, and Northern Ireland in the pot of fifth seeds.
The draw will take place in Nice on February 23.
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi