FA will push to increase 'insufficient' Hazard ban
Governing body wants Chelsea player to serve more than three games for kicking ballboy
The Football Association set the stage for another disciplinary showdown with Chelsea today when it announced it would push for a longer ban for Eden Hazard than the statutory three games for the red card he received over the ballboy incident on Wednesday.
The FA said that a three-match ban for Hazard's dismissal against Swansea, in which he kicked at a ballboy, was "clearly insufficient" and an independent regulatory commission will decide next week the tariff that the player must serve.
In private, the club would have accepted the three-game ban. They are now likely to appeal against any additional games. Chelsea have until 6pm on Tuesday to put together their submission to the commission.
Hazard will start his ban on Sunday when his club face Brentford in the fourth round of the FA Cup at a time when manager Rafa Benitez believes his squad is too light on numbers to carry the club through a heavy period of fixtures. There have been long-term injuries to John Terry and Oriol Romeu while John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses are at the African Cup of Nations, narrowing Benitez's options.
"We do not have too many players and we are playing too many games," Benitez said. "We have played nine games a month, we have two players at the African Nations, we do not have too many bodies, we have to change players and it will be another approach."
Charged by the FA with "violent conduct", Hazard, 22, will potentially miss up to five games for Chelsea for the incident in the Capital One Cup semi-final second leg at the Liberty Stadium. A ban of that length would take him up to the fifth round of the FA Cup, providing Chelsea beat Brentford. The sixth game is the league fixture away at Manchester City.
There was some good news for the Belgium international today when South Wales police said they would not be pursuing any investigation into the incident with the 17-year-old ballboy, Charlie Morgan.
Hazard will not be required to give evidence at the independent commission hearing next week. Instead, there will be written and video submissions by the FA and Chelsea, with the latter hoping that a new camera angle from Sky Sports will help their cause. It appears to show Hazard making contact with the ball which emerges from under the ballboy.
In the meantime, Benitez takes his side to Griffin Park tomorrow hopeful that Chelsea can stay alive in a competition they have won in four of the last six seasons. He admitted that he had little option but to play Frank Lampard and Ramires in every game in the absence of Mikel and Romeu.
Benitez said: "If you talk about substitutions and how can you change the game it is not so easy. People say there are players you can play and you will score three times but if you play them too much they do not have the physical intensity. The players are a little tired.
"When we have three or four days' rest we are fine, when we have two we are not so good."
New day (slowly) rising – As Brasileirão gets underway, Brazilian football stumbles, rather than leaps into the future
The average Serie A crowd last year was 13,000 - comparable to Australia’s A-League.
by James Young
24 May 2013 04:31 PM
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
Why Manchester City were willing to fork out $500m on stake in MLS
Champions League final: Biggest German invasion since the fifth century as Borussia Dortmund face Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund v Bayern Munich: 50 things you should know about the Champions League final
Champions League final preview: Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund
Champions League Final: Can Jürgen Klopp and Borussia Dortmund stop the Bayern Munich machine?
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 3 Exclusive: How MI5 blackmails British Muslims
- 4 EDL marches on Newcastle as attacks on Muslims increase tenfold in the wake of Woolwich machete attack which killed Drummer Lee Rigby
- 5 Farewell, Shameless. Your heirs have work to do
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.