Facebook to televise FA Cup opener
Non-league sides Ascot United and Wembley FC will kick off this season's FA Cup on Friday night, with the game being streamed to a potential audience of 700 million people.
Social networking site Facebook are 'televising' the clash, which, although will not reach the majority of its potential viewers, is the first of its kind anywhere in sport.
A 90-minute stream will be provided by Budweiser, the competition's new sponsors.
"As a long-standing supporter of football globally, Budweiser is committed to brining the world's most prestigious knockout competition closer to the fans," said marketing director Ian Newell.
"What better way to demonstrate this than by broadcasting the very first kick to a global audience via Facebook.
"This is the first time a FA Cup tournament fixture has been broadcast live on the social network, which is great news for football fans and clubs alike."
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.