Football in Brief: 10/04/2009
Friday 10 April 2009
Quinn disappointed as last away game is moved to Monday
Niall Quinn, the club's chairman, has attacked the Premier League and television companies after Sunderland's last away game of the season at Portsmouth was yesterday moved from a Saturday to the following Monday.
"Amending fixtures at such short notice shows very little regard for supporters," Quinn said. "The Portsmouth change is particularly hard to take, a round-trip of over 700 miles. This is our last away game and fans have already booked hotels, trains, buses and this will have a huge impact on them. We made representations to the Premier League previously regarding the late confirmation of TV selections and vehemently opposed the changes on this occasion. Unfortunately, ultimately the decision to move games is made by the TV companies and the Premier League and the club is not permitted to decline these changes."
Injured Gallas will miss remainder of season
The former captain William Gallas will be out for the rest of the season, manager Arsène Wenger confirmed yesterday. Gallas (below) was injured in the 1-1 draw against Villarreal in the Champions League on Tuesday when he collided with striker Giuseppe Rossi shortly before half-time. Arsenal will also be without goalkeeper Manuel Almunia for three weeks due to an ankle injury which he suffered in Tuesday's match – also in a collision with Rossi – while full-back Gaël Clichy will miss two weeks with a back injury.
Rangers sack Sousa after five months
Paulo Sousa has been sacked as manager after just five months in charge. A club statement said last night: “Queen’s Park Rangers Football Club has today had to terminate Paulo Sousa’s employment with the club with immediate effect. It came to the club’s attention that Mr Sousa had, without authority, divulged highly confidential and sensitive information. The club, with legal advice, responded in this way to protect its position.” Sousa, who replaced Iain Dowie in November, has denied the allegation.
Unhappy Adriano quits Inter to ‘rethink career’
Adriano has announced he will be taking a break from football for an unspecified time. “I’ve lost the happiness of playing,” he said yesterday. “I wouldn’t like to go back to Italy, I want to live in peace here in Brazil. I don’t know if I’m going to stay for one, two or thee months without playing. I’m going to rethink my career.” He was due to return to Inter last week after Brazil’s World Cup qualifier against Peru but instead went to stay with his mother in Rio de Janeiro.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin