Football in brief: Backlog in English transfer investigations 'will take years to clear'
Saturday 26 September 2009
FIFA: The world body's general secretary, Jérôme Valcke, has revealed that an investigation into transfer complaints involving English clubs could take years to complete – but that none is as serious as the case which led to a transfer ban on Chelsea.
Valcke said Fifa had been inundated with complaints the day after the action against Chelsea was announced earlier this month. The club were found guilty of inducing Gaël Kakuta to break his contract with Lens in 2007 when he was 16 and banned from making signings for two transfer windows.
Fifa is now looking into other cases involving Manchester United and Manchester City, among others. Valcke said: "We have [a number of] investigations in England and we know already that these investigations are not at the same level as the Chelsea one. Everyone is coming with lawyers, and then it takes years, at least months, to finalise cases."
Reo-Coker recalled after fracas with O'Neill
ASTON VILLA: Nigel Reo-Coker has been recalled to the squad after his training ground bust-up with the manager Martin O'Neill and could feature in today's match at Blackburn Rovers. Reo-Coker was dropped for last weekend's game against Portsmouth after the pair clashed at Villa's training complex. The 25-year-old did not play in the midweek Carling Cup tie against Cardiff City but travelled with Villa on the team coach yesterday. Reo-Coker may be needed as Steve Sidwell is out with a thigh injury. Winger Ashley Young and striker Emile Heskey should also be fit to play.
Geovanni extends Hull deal for two more years
HULL CITY: Playmaker Geovanni has agreed a new two-year contract. The 29-year-old Brazilian is now committed to Hull until 2011. The former Barcelona and Benfica player has also hinted at staying longer, saying: "Now what I want most is for the team to do well in the games from here. I think in three years time I will still be here." Geovanni now hopes today's trip to Liverpool can kick-start City's season. "It's a difficult moment," he said. "But in each game we have a great opportunity and against Liverpool it's another opportunity."
Uefa to investigate claims of rigged games
MATCH-FIXING: Uefa is investigating 40 cases of suspected match-fixing involving Champions League and Uefa Cup matches, an official at European football’s governing body said yesterday. Peter Limacher, Uefa’s head of disciplinary services, told the Associated Press that his department was looking at qualifying matches over the last four years involving clubs “mainly from eastern Europe”. Limacher said 15 of the 40 matches took place in the past two years.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Latest in Sport
Jagielka: Moyes needs to bring in his own players
United’s ambitious transfer plans at risk from top-four failure
English clubs ditch Heineken Cup - confirming they will not take part in any ERC run competition in 2014-15
Brazil World Cup 2014 draw: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims