Football in Brief: Blues midfielder Deco steps down from international scene
Friday 05 February 2010
Chelsea midfielder Deco has announced his retirement from international football. The Brazil-born player, who was granted Portuguese citizenship after spending six years in the country, will step down after this summer's World Cup.
The 32-year-old has been a regular in the Portugal side since making a scoring debut in a 2-1 victory over Brazil in 2002, winning 71 caps. "I will end my cycle after the World Cup, because it is tiring," the midfielder, who was a key part of the team which reached the final of Euro 2004 under Luiz Felipe Scolari, said. "For my age and because it is tiring, I will say goodbye after the World Cup."
He also spoke of his plans to return to Brazil at the end of the 2010-11 season, but only after winning the Premier League title with Chelsea. "The title will be my professional fulfilment," said the midfielder, who has scored three goals in 22 games this season.
Striker Sidibe extends stay with Potters
Stoke City forward Mamady Sidibe has signed a contract extension at the Britannia Stadium, keeping him at the club until 2012. The 30-year-old, who joined the Potters from Gillingham on a free transfer in 2005, made a successful return from a knee injury which saw him miss the second half of last season and has made 13 appearances this campaign. "I am very happy here. I didn't have to think twice when asked about a new contract," he said. "The best of my football has been here and the dreams I have achieved have been with Stoke. I didn't want to go anywhere else."
Donny release former United midfielder
The former Manchester United midfielder Quinton Fortune has left Doncaster Rovers after failing to win a new deal. The 32-year-old South African international joined Rovers on a six-month deal last summer after impressing in pre-season, although the knee problems which have beset his career soon resurfaced, limiting his first-team opportunities at the Keepmoat Stadium. He completed 90 minutes only once for Rovers this season.
Toffees remain hopeful over stadium designs
Everton are considering the possibility of redeveloping Goodison Park, although Toffees chief executive Robert Elstone remains optimistic over hopes for a new stadium in Liverpool. "There are many examples of council-led or partnered developments in football over the past decade," Elstone said. "Several sites have been identified. All are familiar to us and had been assessed previously but this doesn't mean we'll come to the same conclusions as circumstances change."
Latest in Sport
Liverpool transfer news: Reds buoyed after Marco Reus rejects new Borussia Dortmund contract offer - reports
Arsenal agree new deal with BT Sport - which coincides nicely with advert showing FA Cup win over Liverpool
Liverpool transfer news: Divock Origi joins before World Cup star is immediately loaned back to Lille
Scottie dogs in Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'disrespectful to Muslims', say Malaysian politicians
Liverpool transfer news: Daniel Agger closing in on Barcelona move as Xavi plans to stay
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc