Football in Brief: Hodgson focused on keeping stars
Tuesday 07 September 2010
Roy Hodgson has admitted that his main task is to keep the Liverpool squad together until new owners take over the club and give him money to spend on new players.
Liverpool's future ownership is as uncertain as ever after a fortnight of intense activity last month failed to see a proper bid materialise. Hodgson's main aim has been to avoid having to rebuild the squad completely.
He said yesterday: "The club is up for sale and nobody knows what direction it will take if and when new owners are found. A few years ago, the money to buy new players was available. I hope the situation will change when the club is eventually sold and owners who are prepared to invest in the club come in.
"When that situation arises I'm pretty sure that it won't be difficult for us to start achieving things again but at the moment the task is really to hang on to the players we've got."
A more immediate problem for Hodgson emerged yesterday when Dirk Kuyt was sent home from international duty after being ruled out of the Netherlabnds' qualifier with Finland with a shoulder problem. The 30-year-old sustained the injury in training yesterday and coach Bert van Marwijk believes it could sideline the player for some time. "I think he might be out for a few weeks," the Holland manager said.
Bebe available for United in Europe
Bebe has been included in Manchester United's Champions League squad after all. United submitted their list of 25 players to Uefa last week, with Owen Hargreaves among those excluded. It seemed Bebe had been left out too, which only intensified interest in a player who featured last season in Portuguese football's third tier, but cost United £7m.
However, Uefa has now confirmed the 20-year-old is on the list and will be available for next week's opener against Rangers at Old Trafford. A more likely debut would be in the Carling Cup tie at Scunthorpe the following week.
Ryan Shawcross has hit back at Arsène Wenger's claim that he plays "rugby". The Arsenal manager said the defender – whom he criticised for a leg-breaking challenge on Aaron Ramsey last season – kicked the Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes in their recent game. "Mr Wenger's obviously got something against me," said Shawcross. "He always seems to have a problem with Stoke, our manager and certain players."
The Microsoft mogul told fans a few home truths during his Reddit AMA
Latest in Sport
Brooklyn Beckham poses in Arsenal training kit following rumours of signing for the Gunners
Manchester United transfer news and rumours: David De Gea could leave for FREE; £38m for Marquinhos; £37m bid for Mats Hummels;
Transfer talk: Juan Cuadrado Chelsea move imminent; Manchester United eye Nathaniel Clyne; Andre Schurrle medical at Wolfsburg
Danny Ings to Liverpool: The Reds attempt to steal a march on rivals in race to sign Burnley striker
Kim Sears 'swearing' outburst threatens to overshadow Andy Murray's Australian Open semi-final win
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures